This Wednesday 19th of January we had a large group online session led by Lindsay and Sergio on the merits of presenting while being observed.

We were briefed on the necessary forms and the sample work and the precise in-depth matter us leaving feedback when observing a colleague and at the same token being prepared to be observed.

Diagram Adopted from Matt O’Leary (2014)

This is a topic dear to my heart. As a University lecturer who has had this profession for over a decade, I have observed and been observed and I am fully aware of the benefits of the task ahead. I can recall the double edge element attached to observation. Entailing both benefits and challenges for teachers. Educational literature acknowledges and embraces observation as the right practical tool for teachers in order to improve, and transform their perspectives (Bell, 2005). According to Bell ( 2005) peer based teaching observation can offer many benefits including improvement in the quality of teaching and development of confidence in teaching practice. Pee’ls (2005) argues the practice is mainly used for two major purpose: development and performance management.

There are studies conducted to see if teaching observation can result in positive changes on teachers behavior and teaching practice (Carroll, 1980). In fact Dalgaard (1982) research proved those teachers who recorded their lecture delivery and later on shared it with a with a trained person , significantly got higher ranking on their teaching job from their students.

Other similar research found both being observed and mentored by the a trained tutor, significantly do a better job in taking anxiety off teaching and helping teaching professionals to get higher evaluation rate by students (Williams, 1999).

Bell & Maldenovic (2008) found the peer observation practice was considered helpful as tutees could respond in a positive way to these comments and eventually it can impact their teaching behaviour in a positive vein.

Going back to my personal experience I as well have seen the positive impact on my own teaching journey. Starting off as a novice teacher in HE back at King’s college London (university of London) I remember being observed by senior colleague was the setting step in terms of helping me to realize the importance of reflective teaching. Upon reflecting on them through earlier on my career I made few changes on the way, and much earlier on I did realise the procedural nature of teaching observation. How I look at teaching is a delivery process that needs to be planed, reflected and altered based on that reflection (Booth et al., 2000).

It has been long years since I have been first observed by a colleague/ or observed a session being delivered by one other colleague , but every time it opens your eyes to new perspective and pushes me to at least make improvement in my own way of delivering my sessions. One positive aspect that I have noted and started to reflect upon is that every session you deliver is a pure experiential journey you take your students to. Thus aspects to consider could entail big questions to reflect including: How to make the most of your time in making the session enjoyable, inclusive, immersive, educational and memorable for students? For sure with teaching intensity we face in HE this is not always possible, yet it should become a priority when designing and delivering a session, we need to consider the experience of delivery and link it to our learning outcomes, which will be well immersed in our way of communicating with our students.

Part of TPP Unit entails to set up peer observation and reflect on our peers valid reflection on our teaching and as well being able to respond back with a positive action plan. Whilst I have been involved in HE for over a decade, I find it refreshing to be observed by colleagues who do not necessarily come from my discipline and could have a fresh look into the way I participate in my teaching practice.

My Cohort of peers on Wednesday will be also led by Dr. Marsden and we are encouraged to send off recording of our teaching session. This is a new and novel way into observation and whilst I am so looking forward into participating I also believe there will be challenges involved in this type of observation.

References:

Bell, M. (2005). Peer observation partnerships in higher education. (NSW, Australia: Higher
Education Research and Development Society of Australasia Inc.)

Booth, C, Bowie, S, Jordan, J and Rippin, A (2000) ‘The use of the case method in large and diverse undergraduate business programmes: problems and issues’, International Journal of Management Education, 1(1): 62–75

Carroll, J. G. (1980). Effects of training programs for university teaching assistants: a review
of empirical research. The Journal of Higher Education, 51(2), 167-183

Dalgaard, K. A. (1982). Some effects of training on teaching effectiveness of untrained
university teaching assistants. Research in Higher Education, 17(1), 39-50

O’Leary M (2014) Classroom Observation: A guide to the effective observation of teaching and learning London: Routledge

Peel, D. (2005). Peer observation as a transformatory tool? Teaching in Higher Education, 10(4), 489-504

Video:

UNM Centre for Digital Learning ,(2021), Peer Observation Video 1: Why Formative Peer Observation, Accessed on You Tube 15th February 2022: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbBpTPIBfRQ