This case study will focus on Designing and planning of Undergraduate year 1 Unit for year 1 in BA fashion Marketing. The unit is called Global Fashion Marketing Communication (GFBC).

In order to start my own experience of designing and planning for this particular Unit, I would like to draw the reader’s attention to  Cowan & Harding (1986) curriculum design Model as presented below:

Text Box: Cowan & Harding (1986)

Accordingly using a model like this can help academics to align their Unit / Courses learning outcomes with the process of learning. This might also be helpful in defining and demonstrating easier paths to help students to achieve their learning goals (Fry et al., 2008).

This inherent logic of curriculum development is in accordance with Bigg’s model of alignment for teaching and assessment as pictured below (Biggs, 1999). There is a body of research that has established students more than their tutors always think of their assessment . In other words assessment comes across as a bigger concern for students rather than their tutors.   The value of Bigg’s Model demonstrates the difference between student vs tutor

perspective below.

Biggs (1999: 142)

BA Fashion Marketing the Global Fashion Brand Communication (GFBC) Unit Design and Planning Case:

This case study draws from Curriculum development for an Undergraduate studies Unit in Year 1 fashion Marketing in Communication for UAL. We normally use a team-based approach. My challenge was to design an interactive unit to make year 1 students involved in learning and applying Communication theories. In this case I start by articulating the learning outcome against my assessment to start with.

Learning Outcome, Assessment and Criteria

After agreeing on Year one Unit’s learning outcome, I decided to consider the type of assessment which will match with those learning outcomes from Marketing Communication Perspective.

Content Design and Learning facilitation

This part also entailed me to search for an appropriate textbook in order to fulfil the appropriate source for the majority of the content. Each session the content needs to be relating to final assessment with important theories driven from major textbook and seminar activities well linked to the lecture content which is well related to assessment criteria.  

This Unit design learning content is certainly designed in consideration of level 4 students in mind, since tutors and lecturers play a key role in facilitating learning and knowledge transfer through step-by-step approach. Seminar activities have been designed with use of e-learning tools including use of Padlets to facilitate peer to peer shared learning experience.

Evaluation

Evaluation and attending to useful experience on students’ journey is of utmost importance for Unit Success year after year.

Evaluation would potentially will give us feedback on student attainment and learning experience. In sum in this case even I had no experience of teaching this particular Unit (GFBC)  in UAL, the evaluation from previous year gave me a comprehensive food for thought in terms of organising myself to deliver richer and more interesting learning experience. 

References:

Key Points to consider when designing and planning a case
Learning Outcome and Assessment Criteria Align the final summative assessment with the defined Learning Outcome (LO)Consider the level of the course when designing the assessment project (Level 4)
1.Content Design and Learning facilitation
a. For undergraduate studies define a major textbook for the focal point in order to Provide focus and theoretical spine to the course.
Choosing a major and key Textbook for the Unit can also provide point of reference for academic team and serve like a main source for lecture material.
Match the skill of the teaching team
This is a team-based teaching so each team member will be aligned to teach their area of expertise;
Sourcing for industry relevant materials and case studies and seminal article for the week by week in order to facilitate step by step learning.
Sourcing industry key speakers to inspire and reconfirm their learning journey.
Facilitate and organise formative assessment to make sure the learning process is happening (Formative assessment);
Facilitate Technical workshop learning with technical team for the success of final assessment in formatting and creating high quality document;
Evaluation Use evaluation forms to capture student experience and voice;Feed this evaluation in next year’s curriculum design and planning

Biggs, J (1999) Teaching for Quality Learning at University, Buckingham: SRHE/Open University Press.

Cowan, J and Harding, A (1986) ‘A logical model of curriculum development’, British Journal of Educational Technology, 17 (2), pp 103–109.

Fry,H.,  Ketteridge,S.,  &  Marshall, S. ( 2008), “ a Handbook of Teaching and Learning in higher Education : Enhancing Academic practice , Routledge,