Image adopted from Gurdian (2017)

The SON article has given a case of a female Muslim student with Iranian origin who has been subject to harsh judgment over her personal beliefs since she has chosen to wear hijab in classroom. In one of her art based classes that she has created an art reflecting on Hijab some students comments have been upsetting and it has not been an easy process for her. The case also demonstrate the instructor has openly shared his view of secularity in a non democratic way, making the student feel there is no room for debate. This has left a void in the class making Aalimah vulnerable to some of the harsh judgment of her classmates.

The case makes us reflect on the crucial role educational institutes specially Higher education play in giving society a tolerance cushion. If as a society we keep on discussing about tolerance and sharing different points of view, it will be very hypocritical not to allow people to adhere and practice their faith in confident manner.

T

According to case :”According to a report by Tell MAMA anti–Muslim attacks
and abuse in public spaces rose by 326% in 2015, with
women being disproportionally targeted. One in 10 of
all incidents reported to the organisation happened in
educational establishments. (The Guardian, 2016)”. the alarming part of the article is when women are the direct target for these attacks. This statistics is alarming and it makes me reflect even deeper that as educators the big role I have is the one to create safe and happy educational environment for my students. As an immigrant Iranian woman I can relate to Aalima’s frustration . Although I am a non-practicing and non religious person, I find it very off topic and cruel to pass on judgment on students faith during classroom or student facing time. Nonetheless the case is very reflective of the privileges we hold as educators and call upon us to be even more conscious of protecting and giving voice to our class ethical and religious minority. To be neutral and reflect on that position will give room and open space for discussion of different point of views, which should be the bedrock of any higher education institution.

Resources: Guardian, 2017: accessed June 2022: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/jul/20/record-number-anti-muslim-attacks-reported-uk-2017